The Choquequirao Trek 4 days or 5 days?
The Choquequirao Trek in 4 days or in 5? That, is the question! And a very valid question too.
We begin this post by giving you a brief description of the trek difficulty. After that, we’ll get right into the explanation of how your hiking days would go with a 4 or a 5 day trek.
In this post:
- Trek difficulty
- Choquequirao Trek 4 days Itinerary
- Choquequirao Trek 5 days Itinerary
“Choquequirao Trek is one of the most challenging treks around Cusco and Machu Picchu. We consider the Choquequirao Trek Difficulty rating at “Medium-Difficult”. In a 1 to 5 scale, with 5 being the hardest trek available around Cusco, we rate this trek with a 4.” Read the complete post on Choquequirao Trek Difficulty and Distance for more details about the route.
Choquequirao Trek 4 days Itinerary
The summary of the itinerary for the Choquequirao Trek 4 days is the following:
- Day 1: Hike from Cachora Village to the first campsite at Santa Rosa. Total hike distance: 15.5 miles.
- Day 2: Hike from Santa Rosa to Choquequirao Site. Explore the site. Total hike distance: 4.5 miles to get to the Choquequirao Site.
- Day 3: Return to Choquequirao in the morning for a few hours before beginning the return to Cachora Village. This night is spend at the Chiquiska Campsite. Total hike distance: 9 miles.
- Day 4: Chiquiska to Cachora hike of 11 miles. Then return to Cusco.
It is important to mention that the suggested itinerary above, is considering hiking distances and timing that are very optimistic for untrained trekkers.
For example, Day 1 hike of the Choquequirao Trek 4 days itinerary is a 15.5 miles hike. Thats a lot and will require an excellent physical condition to reach as stated in the itinerary.
Our experience shows that for Day 2, the most probable outcome, with an average and healthy hiker, will be reaching the Choquequirao Campsite late in the afternoon with little or no time to explore Choquequirao.
Choquequirao Trek 5 days Itinerary
The summary of the itinerary for the Choquequirao Trek 5 days is the following:
- Day 1: Hike from Cachora Village to the first campsite at Chiquiska. Total hike distance: 11 miles.
- Day 2: Hike from Chiquiska Campsite to Choquequirao Site. Total hike distance 9 miles.
- Day 3: Full day at Choquequirao! You will be able to notice how the vast majority of visitors take 4 days trekking but only a few hours or even minutes to enjoy exploring the different sectors of Choquequirao! Enjoy a full day exploring the site.
- Day 4: Choquequirao Site to Chiquiska. We begin the return to Cachora Total hike for this day: 9 miles.
- Day 5: Chiquiska to Cachora. Total hike for this day: 11 miles.
As you can see from the information above, choosing a the Choquequirao Trek 4 days or 5 shouldn’t be a difficult decision. Our experience of 20+ years tour operating the trek, tells us that visitors enjoy much more the 5 day trek versus the 4 day trek.
If you’re confident in your physical condition at 8,500 feet above sea level, with steep uphill and downhill sections, then you’ll probably optimize time by going on the 4 day trek.
If you have the time to enjoy a full day at Choquequirao Site, then we truly recommend the 5 day Choquequirao Trek.
Learn more about the Choqequirao Trek Tour here.
We’re glad to help you plan!
Planning a vacation to Peru? Interested in going to Machu Picchu? At bmqtravel.com we are a team of expert advisors that will gladly help you on planning your perfect trip! Contact us!
At BMQ Travel we strive for excellence in service and customer satisfaction. As part of that vision we elaborate this guides for travelers who are interested in the main Adventures and Activities Peru has to offer.
Choquequirao Trek Guide This is the Ultimate Choquequirao Trek Guide where you will find lots of useful and practical information. We understand the importance of having up-to-date information before traveling abroad while on vacations or holidays. At BMQ Travel we